Tuesday 19 March 2013

Babies and Power Outages


 Well I know that I posted just yesterday but currently the power is out ( a common occurrence)  I am sitting in the complete darkness and writing in my journal about this day is more trouble than it’s worth. So instead I will sit in front of my computer so that I am utterly blind to anything but its light and tell all of you back home.  Today has been probably the best day that I have experienced since coming to Africa, maybe that is an exaggeration but that is how it feels right now.
                Today the North group ( me ) was sent to God’s Grace Orphanage. If I had a choice I would never have left. This three room house is the home to 120 children. As an orphanage it is run completely on donations and most days the children only have one meal. Many other days there is no money for food and they do not eat at all. Regardless I will not soon forget the sight that awaited me as I turned the corner to get there. A little girl hair in little braids that were sticking out in all directions , black flower print dress came running full speed down the hill and into my arms. Immediately I was swarmed by dozens of little girls, all clamoring for a chance to hold my hand, or my arm, or just wrap their little bodies around my waste and not let go. I literally could not move and more than once nearly fell over from all the children pressing to come near to me. I felt that today I experienced a true piece of Uganda. Don’t get me wrong I love Watoto with all my heart and am so glad to see all that God has done and continues to do, and I fully believe in the way they have raised the villages to be a family, but that is not common. I get the feeling this orphanage is the true Uganda, the more common way orphanages are run. Watoto is a well-established and amazing organization, God’s Grace is new and has completely captured my heart.  The children are so full of love and smiles and just hunger for a little bit of love.  Within the first five minutes of us starting worship one baby began to cry. If there is one thing that I have learned about myself while being here it is that crying, scared, tired, or just plain cuddly children are my specialty. Thomas immediately picked him up and handed him to me and within thirty-seconds ( I am not exaggerating) his sobs were hiccups and he was asleep on my shoulder. Thomas even turned to comment that that did not take long.  I was very sad when one of the adults took him to put him in bed. However that was not the end of my baby experience! When the first one was taken from me I was handed an even younger girl, and once she was happy enough to be on her own another crying little one came to my arms. When that last one fell asleep she went completely limp. Even walking around and passing her off to others did not make her flinch in her sleep.  By that time all the kids were ready to play a game and I had many little admiring girls waiting for me. They were so beautiful and I love them with all my heart! I cannot wait to go back and love on the again. I wish I were in a position where at least one of them could become my own little girl forever, but alas I am not. I can only pray that each of them finds the love of a mommy some day and grows up knowing their worth.

3 comments:

  1. Brought tears to my eyes reading that....I agree that that sounds like the true Uganda...breaks my heart too...wish I could have been there to cuddle them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you could bring the kids over for a " educational vacation" or " field trip" if you like. :) I know that God's Grace would probably be hard to organize with but they can always use help and more loving hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only our homeschool funding was enough to cover a field trip like that!!!:)

    ReplyDelete